The National Association of Health Underwriters (NAHU) is a U.S. non-profit professional association organized to promote the common business interests of those engaged in the sale of health insurance services and to advance public knowledge for the need and benefit of health insurance products and services.
NAHU was founded by J.P. Collins, L.D. Edson, A.G. MacKinnon and George Brown in 1930 and chartered June 5, 1930 at the Edgewater Beach Hotel in Chicago.
NAHU is an organization for individuals who are active in the health insurance industry. Its membership represents all segments of the health insurance business but the nucleus of the organization has always been agents.
NAHU is governed by an executive board. Since 2005, Janet Trautwein has been the executive vice president and CEO, while a new president of the board is elected by membership every year.
NAHU sponsors two industry meetings every year. Capitol Conference is held every year in Washington, DC, while the Annual Convention and Exhibition is held in a different U.S. city each year.
NAHU has taken an active role in Health care reform in the United States, including presenting testimony before Congress and participating in lobbying efforts.
HUPAC is a licensed political action committee that raises money for candidates who support business-driven health care reform.
The NAHU Education Foundation helps insurance agents keep up-to-date on licensing classes required by each state’s Department of Insurance.
NAHU helps individuals find private health insurance through its “Find an Agent” feature.
- ^“Bylaws”. NAHU. 1996.
- ^NAHU:The Next Generation. Maxhill Group of Companies. 1996.
- ^“National Association of Health Underwriters – NAHU”. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 2008-12-03.
- ^“NAHU Installs New Board for 2008-2009” (PDF) (Press release). NAHU. 2008-07-08. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-17.
- ^“Meetings”. NAHU. Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2009-02-18.
- ^“Comprehensive Health Reform Discussion Draft, Day 3”. House Subcommittee on Health. Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- ^“Healthcare Reform”. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. Archived from the original on June 10, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- ^“Ways to Reduce the Cost of Health Insurance for Employers, Employees and their Families”. House Health, Employment, Labor, and Pensions Subcommittee. Archived from the original on 2009-04-25. Retrieved 2009-04-23.
- ^“Addressing Insurance Market Reform in National Health Reform”. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. Archived from the original on March 25, 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-24.
- ^“HUPAC”. HUPAC. Retrieved 2009-02-18.
- ^“NAHU Educational Foundation”. NAHU. Retrieved 2009-02-18.
- ^“How to Find the Right Private Health Insurance”. Business Week. 2008-10-13.