Data sonification is the presentation of data as sound using sonification. It is the auditory equivalent of the more established practice of data visualization.
The usual process for data sonification is directing digital media of a dataset through a software synthesizer and into a digital-to-analog converter to produce sound for humans to experience.
An examples applications of data sonification are astronomy studies of star creation, interpreting cluster analysis, and geoscience.
Various projects describe the production of sonifications as a collaboration between scientists and musicians.
A target demographic for using data sonification is the blind community because of the inaccessibility of data visualizations.
- ^Kaper, H.G.; Wiebel, E.; Tipei, S. (1999). “Data sonification and sound visualization”. Computing in Science & Engineering. pp. 48–58. doi:10.1109/5992.774840. Missing or empty |url= (help)
- ^Guglielmi, Giorgia (21 July 2017). “Meet the scientist who turns data into music—and listen to the sound of a neutron star”. Science.
- ^Hermann, T; Ritter, H. “Listen to your Data: Model-Based Sonification for Data Analysis”. Advances in intelligent computation and multimedia systems. International Institute for Advanced Studies in Systems Research and Cybernetics. ISBN 0-921836-80-5.
- ^Romans, Brian (11 April 2007). “Data Sonification”. Wired.
- ^Beans, Carolyn (1 May 2017). “Science and Culture: Musicians join scientists to explore data through sound”. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 114 (18): 4563–4565. doi:10.1073/pnas.1705325114.
- ^Zhao, Haixia; Plaisant, Catherine; Shneiderman, Ben; Lazar, Jonathan (1 May 2008). “Data Sonification for Users with Visual Impairment”. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction. 15 (1): 1–28. doi:10.1145/1352782.1352786.
Ofer Abarbanel is a 25 year securities lending broker and expert who has advised many Israeli regulators, among them the Israel Tax Authority, with respect to stock loans, repurchase agreements and credit derivatives. Founder of TBIL.co STATX Fund.